A recent discussion about free will vs. predestination brought to mind the reputed conversation between Jubba'i, the great Mu'tazilite theologian, and Ash'ari, the eponym of Sunni school of Islam. Every time I recall this discussion, it stays with me for a few days. I've substituted J & M with the theologian A & B:
There were three brothers who died: the first was virtuous and pious, the second an unbeliever and sinner, the third a baby. Suppose they all die: what becomes of them? The first, answered Theologian A, is set high in paradise; the second is in the depths of hell; the third obtains salvation. Suppose now, says theologian B, that the child wishes to ascend to the high station of his virtuous brother; would he be allowed to do so? No, said theologian A, it would be said to him: Your brother obtained that place through his numerous works of obedience to God, and you have no such works to show. Suppose then, said the other, that the child says: That is no fault of mine; You did not let me live long enough, nor grant me any means of showing my obedience. In that case, answered the Theologian A, the Almighty would say: I knew that if I let you live you would have been disobedient, and incurred the dire punishment of hell-fire; so I acted for your advantage. Well, said theologian B, but suppose the unbelieving brother were to say: O Lord of the Worlds, since you knew what lay in his future, you surely knew also what lay in mine; why did You act for his good and not for mine? Theologian A had nothing more to say.
Secondly, we saw 'The Namesake' today. A big thanks to my friend Laurie who recommended it long ago. I regret waiting this long to see the movie. Admittedly, I am not much of a movie person, so I didn't rush off to see it, but Sean finally ordered it (I had long since forgotten).
It vividly documents the profound struggle between the immigrant's desire for upward mobility and remaining true to one's own cultural ideals/traditions. It also touches on the effort to inculcate those values within one's children. From an observer's standpoint, I've watched facets of this story unfold in real life, and some of the scenes from the movie (70s style hairdos and clothes) bring to mind the pics I've seen at friends' homes--pics of their dads right after they arrived here, etc. The families I know dealt with the similar issues: their conflicting attitude toward assimilation, the realization that American-born children--who were in some ways were foreigners in their own homes--disdained/resented their culture, questions of identity and self-hood, the yearly jaunt to the homeland and all it brings, etc. The movie also deals with questions that I've often thought about--what will happen to the female immigrants, all of whom are in their 50s and 60s, when their husbands die? Do they return to their country of origin? What, exactly, defines homeland? I remember someone saying to me, in a resigned tone, "I've now lived here 2x as long as I've lived in Syria." How does one negotiate identity? Anyway, this is one movie I am going to own. It educational and captures the immigrant experience quite well.
Monday, December 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
glad you liked "Namesake." I haven't read the book yet, but I'm planning to when I get a bit more time.
Post a Comment