Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Recent Life Events: Wedding, etc.

So we've all heard psychologists/shrinks say that life events such as moving, marriage, the beginning of the school year, the loss of a pet and uh, let's say, stolen cars are huge stressors. I've experienced all of the above in the last four weeks.

Indeed, the last month has been quite busy. Summer left quietly, and then fall was ushered in with grand chaos. First, my car was stolen. Yes, my car. Its hard to believe that a thief would go through all that trouble for a cheap CD player/radio. Whatever. Sean and I had to physically remove it from 48th and King Dr. where, according to two awesome police officers from the 2nd district, it awaited a tow. I would not have been able to reclaim it for 4 weeks, at least, while I reordered the title which was in the car (yes, very dumb of me). Thankfully, we got to it, and drove it away, flat tire, glass shrads and all. The tow truck arrived just as we were leaving. We rode in the back of the paddy wagon to claim it. I had been contemplating buying a new car, but now the decision has been made for me. The inside dash is completely ruined. Now the headache of car shopping. That will have to wait a bit.


Then we waited with bated breath while they finished construction on our new home. Not surprisingly, the anticipated day of close came and went, and it still wasn't done. We were facing the prospect of moving twice. Then, thankfully, two days before our wedding, we closed. The people who moved into my old house were patient, but they also had to be out by September 22nd. So we loaded up the UHaul at seven on a rainy Friday morning, let it sit all day, went downtown at 3:00 and moved in that night. We had a lot of help. Thank you!

Then on Sunday I got married to my friend and colleague, Sean. What to say about Sean? In addition to being a great person all around, he is one of the most intelligent individuals I've ever met. He is already in the process of publishing two articles as a graduate student (one is going to come out in Der Islam early next year). He will probably finish his PhD in record time. He would kill me for saying any of this, since he is very humble. He is an avid book reviewer. Here is a link to some of his reviews (he started writing these in college and is embarrassed by them now). http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AT6Z6G71SNMYM/ref=cm_cr_auth/104-7186352-5046325?ie=UTF8

What else? He has traveled the world (Japan, Middle East, Africa, etc.). And, most importantly, he is great with Susu and Suraya. I will post pictures of the wedding in a bit.

Finally, we had to get rid of our kitten for various reasons. I took some final pictures.

Anyway, here are some pictures. Keep in mind when viewing the mess that we just moved!







Kitty's last fight with Suraya (two days before we said goodbye).




Susu getting her hair done.







Suraya in her dress (professional pictures to come).





Although the theives didn't have the courtesy to clean up the car (this is how we found it), we were fortunate enough to participate in a "cultural exchange" of sorts. While they cleaned out everything from my Arabic books to Qur'an CDs, etc. they were kind enough to leave behind some very interesting rap music CDs (Ying Yang twins??, never heard of them), and some long bags, scrunched up at the tips, that, ostensibly, seem to have contained bottles of booze. They weren't drinking and driving, were they? Too bad they stole the CD player. I guess I can't listen to those CDs.




Last weekend at the museum.

No comments: