Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The trials and tribulations of moving

The last two weeks have been quite busy. As I read on a friend's blog, moving is really a time to reflect on (read: regret) how much junk you've collected. I am ashamed of the amount of karakib (trans: junk) that we (I) have. The clothes alone are overwhelming. It would be one thing if they were actually nice, but I find myself wearing the same three comfort outfits, which aren't very nice, daily, so why all the clothes? Sean, on the other hand, is a book junkie; his books take up five shelves (at least this was an opportunity to get new shelves, lol).

I still have not been able to cull through all of the "stuff" and that will have to wait. Neither Sean nor I are very handy so many projects, such as lighting and window treatments are on hold while we find electricians and carpenters who aren't going to take us to the cleaners. How I wish I was skilled in at least one trade. Even putting in closet systems was a project for me (we had to go to Home Depot and have them cut a bunch of different size shelves and I managed to come home with the wrong sizes). The result: things are still in heaps, everywhere. Anyway, I've managed to escape from Suraya and Sean for a bit of peace at the library (read: internet).

Chief among the many frustrations of the past week was the characteristically clueless "internet guy." Has anyone every had the experience of Comcast/DSL coming out on the first try and saying "Voila, its done!"? I don't think I've ever had this experience. As Sean put it, they send out a warm body at first to look around and say that there are a few problems. Then they send out the "next crew." After waiting two weeks for internet, we were overjoyed yesterday to see the "internet guy." After just a few minutes, it became quite clear that our situation was "problematic." Now a "team" is coming next week. It is frustrating not having the internet since we use it for our work.

In addition, we had no mailbox for the first two weeks. Now the mail seems to come every few days or so, if we are lucky.

Lastly, I seem to be beleaguered by car problems. I managed to get two tickets in less than 12 hours for "no vehicle sticker." But I was told by the secretary of state's hotline that I couldn't get a new vehicle sticker without my stolen title. And I can't get a new title with my vehicle registration. And I can't sell the car til I get my title. Anyway, all these problems were finally resolved after shelling out a bunch of cash to a bunch of different agencies. The title should arrive in about four weeks. I am counting the days down since the car doesn't have a proper heating system and I am freezing.

Anyway, soon I hope to be posting happy thoughts here instead of complaining.

On a more positive note, the weekend was nice; we finally made it to great America and I managed to get out and play in the leaves a bit. We also bought Halloween costumes and Sean carved a pumpkin with the girls (which is fading fast).






1 comment:

andalusian said...

suraya looks so cute as a pumpkin :)